Single Window Initiative (SWI) is a program implemented by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) that will assist in meeting their goals to modernize and align the import processing procedures between Canada and the US under the Beyond the Border Action Plan.
Through SWI, importers will be required to provide all information required by the Participating Government Agencies (PGA’s) on imported goods electronically to CBSA. Through SWI the CBSA will alert each PGA to review the information provided to them and advise if the regulations have been met, or more information is required. They will in turn provide CBSA with a release or hold notification which is transmitted back to the filer.
What do Importers Need to do?
Importers need to ensure that all of their required permits and/or licenses are provided with their shipment documentation and that they remain up to date on the latest details of SWI.
We highly recommend importers provide us with all of the required information, data elements, and documentation for their PGA related commodities as soon as they can. By keeping Buckland up to date, this will assist in preventing any potential clearance delays or issues.
Participating Government Agencies
The agencies that are expected to participate in SWI are:
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)
- Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Global Affairs Canada
- Health Canada
- Natural Resources Canada
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Transport Canada
- The deadline to onboard to the SWI/IID is extended to January 1, 2019. By this date, all clients are expected to have completed testing and be certified to transmit via the IID.
- To support the transition to the SWI/IID, the deadline to sunset legacy service options OGD PARS and OGD RMD is extended to April 1, 2019.
Buckland people, processes and technology are ready for SWI:
- We are fully certified with CBSA for SWI
- We’ve been testing in Single Window for over 18 months, ensuring our teams and technology are ready with SWI and its requirements.
- We’ve upgraded our brokerage software to be fully SWI-compliant.
- We’re committed to smooth transitions for our clients, through keeping clients informed of updates as soon as possible.
We will continue to keep you up-to-date as these changes impact your business. If you have any questions please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org