Yesterday, notice was received from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) informing members that different file formats for the January 1, 2018,Customs Tariff are now available online and contain scheduled rate reductions pertaining to individual free trade agreements.
Please see the notice from the CBSA below for further details:
CN 17-37, January 1, 2018 Version of the Departmental Consolidation of the Customs Tariff
- The purpose of this notice is to advise that the different format files for the January 1, 2018 Departmental Consolidation of the Customs Tariff(Tariff) are now available on the Customs Tariff page of the CBSA website. The 2018 Tariff reflects the scheduled rate reductions contained within the legislation of individual free trade agreements.
- In addition to the scheduled rate reductions, Statistics Canada has also made the following added and deleted statistical changes:
|Classification Number||Change Type|
|Chapter Note 27||Add Statistical Note 1.|
|Chapter Note 44||Add Statistical Note 2.|
- Statistical changes to the classification numbers are identified in the Tariff (PDF format) on the CBSA website by a change bar in the left margin. Please note there are no change bar indicators in the HTML version. For the Access files the changes are indicated with the number 1 in the change column.
- All changes will be active in the Customs Commercial System (CCS) beginning January 1, 2018.
- For certainty regarding the tariff classification of a product, importers may request an advance ruling for tariff classification. Details on submitting a request for an advance ruling can be found in the CBSA Memorandum D11-11-3, Advance Rulings for Tariff Classification.
- Importers who are in possession of a tariff classification advance ruling should review the changes in Tariff Amendment T2018 to determine if the tariff classification number of the goods under their existing ruling is still valid. Where the tariff classification of a good under a ruling letter is no longer valid, importers may submit a request to the CBSA office where the original ruling was issued for an affirmation of the ruling. Should the Advance Ruling no longer be valid, a modified ruling will be issued by the CBSA confirming the correct tariff classification number.
- For more information, within Canada, call the Border Information Service at 1-800-461-9999. From outside Canada call 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. Long distance charges will apply. Agents are available Monday to Friday (08:00 – 16:00 local time / except statutory holidays). TTY is also available within Canada: 1-866-335-3237.