Section 301 Tariffs on US Imports of Certain China Origin Goods
Effective July 6th
The Office of the US Trade Representative (USTR) has issued an update on the recently proposed list of products subject to additional duties pursuant to Section 301. This update follows previous announcements advising notification would be sent by June 15 regarding the imposition of an additional duty on US imports of Chinese origin goods. We are reaching out today with the highlights of this update and links to official USTR documentation.
The revised list of products announced today:
- Removes 515 product lines from the initial proposed list;
- Adds 284 product lines proposed for further review;
- Maintains 818 products lines from the initial proposed list unchanged.
What you need to know:
- Additional duties will begin on July 6th, 2018 on the 818 product lines;
- The 284 added product lines being proposed will now undergo further review in a public notice and comment process, including a hearing.
- After completion of the review process, USTR will issue a final determination on the products that would be subject to the additional duties.
- USTR will provide an opportunity for the public to request exclusion of a particular product from the additional 25 percent duty. USTR will publish the details of this product exclusion process in a subsequent Federal Register notice.
- June 29, 2018: Due date for filing requests to appear and a summary of expected testimony at the public hearing and for filing pre-hearing submissions
- July 20, 2018: Due date for submission of written comments.
- July 24, 2018: The Section 301 Committee will convene a public hearing
- July 31, 2018: Due date for submission of post-hearing rebuttal comments.
If you have questions about this update and how it could impact your business, please reach out to our team today. As a customer-focused company, we provide you with a single source of unmatched Customs Brokerage (Canadian, US, Mexican), Trade Managed Solutions, Freight Forwarding, Trade Technologies and Warehousing / Distribution Services.